Most of my players did not do well this week but the one heartbreak was when Rory McIlroy lost in the final round of match play against Hunter Mahan. Mahan is an excellent golfer, but up until now he is probably better known as one of the “golf boys,” so it was fun to see him win.
WGC Accenture Match Play Championship
(1) Luke Donald — Number one player in the world taken out in the first day by Ernie Els (a player that only got into the tournament because Phil Mickelson went on vacation with his family).
(2) Ben Crane — So much for being the number one putter on tour (based on PGA Stats.) He was taken out by Bubba Watson on day one.
(3) Rory McIlroy — My favorite European player. If he had won in the final match he would have been the new number one player in the world but it did not happen.
(4) Tiger Woods –Tiger did not have his “A-game” this weekend and lost in the second round to Nick Watney.
Mayakoba Golf Classic
You have to love the name of the winner of the Mayakoba — John Huh. Fans are already wearing T-shirts with Huh? on the back. Not only is his name a good “story” but his year so far is a good story. He qualified for the tour via Q-School and he has made every cut in the 5 tournaments he has played — culminating with a win this weekend. It was not an easy win — he won in an eight-hole playoff against Robert Allenby. My picks, on the other hand, ended the weekend very far down on the leaderboard.
(1) Johnson Wagner — Tied for 30th with a final of four under par.
(2) Brian Gay – Tied for 54th place with one over par.
(3) Jerrod Lyle — Tied for 37th with two under par.
(4) Cameron Beckman — Tied for 63rd place shooting a 4 over par.
These are awful scores given the leader was at thirteen under par. I had good reasons for these picks but you never can tell how players will perform from week to week.