There are two PGA tournaments going on this week. The Mayakoba Golf Classic in Cancun Mexico and the World Golf Championships (WGC) Accenture Match Play Championship.
This is an interesting week because of the WGC Accenture Match Play. Basically the top 65 players in the world play in head to head matches. If a player loses his match, he goes home. So day one — 65 players in the field, day two — 32 players, etc. Until it is down to the final two players on Sunday. Match play is exciting to watch because anything can happen but it is really hard to pick for fantasy golf. But, here it goes.
WGC Accenture Match Play Championship
(1) Luke Donald — He is the number one player in the world.
(2) Ben Crane — He is the number one putter on tour (based on PGA Stats.) Match play is supposed to be “won or lost” in the putting game so that is why I pick Crane.
(3) Rory McIlroy — My favorite European player. He did not do that well last year but I think he has what it takes to win it all.
(4) Tiger Woods — He loves match play and did well at the Presidents Cup.
Update on match play — the first round is over and Luke Donald and Ben Crane are out. I can’t believe the number one player in the world is out.
Mayakoba Golf Classic
So none of the top players in the world are in this tournament so it gives other players a chance to make their name.
(1) Johnson Wagner — He is the defending champion and is playing well this year so I am hoping for back to back wins.
(2) Brian Gay – Won Mayakoba in 2008 and was tied for 5th last year.
(3) Jerrod Lyle — Tied for 5th last year at Mayakoba.
(4) Cameron Beckman — Tied for 12 last year at Mayakoba. He is my “What the heck” pick this week.
Pingback: Fantasy Golf Results: Match Play and Mayakoba | Golf Expectations