One of my main goals last week was to not have any of my picks miss the cut. I am happy to report that all of them played the weekend. This strategy did well for me because even though none of my picks won, they all contributed to the money points so I maintained my rank overall. Here are the results.
Waste Management Phoenix Open
(1) Web Simpson — Tied for 8 with 10 under par. He was doing well until Sunday and then he shot a 72 which took him out of the running.
(2) Brandt Snedeker — Tied for 50 with 2 under par. Not a great week for Snedeker. His first three rounds were bad but he did recover with a 68 on Sunday.
(3) D. A. Points — Tied for 45 with 3 under par. He had an up and down tournament. One round under 70 and the next round over 70 — inconsistency will get you every time.
(4) Harris English — Tied for 15 with 8 under par. This is great because I took a chance on him as my rookie pick for the week.
Commercial Bank Qatar Masters
(1) Graeme McDowell — Tied for 59 at one under par. Really? I’m a bit disgusted with G-Mac because I had high expectations (I guess we always have high expectations for our favorite).
(2) Francesco Molinari – Tied for 69 at one over par. This was a big surprise to me because I picked him due to the fact he won in Dubai in 2010.
(3) Felipe Aguilar — Tied for 47 at two under par. This is my “what the heck” pick so it is funny that he did better than the big name picks of McDowell and Molinari.
(4) David Drysdale — Tied for 47 at two under par. What can I say. My educated guess that his third place finish in the Joburg Open last month would translate into doing well in Qatar did not pan out.