This week two events are on the radar. Frankly, I’m not sure what the criteria is for the Golf Channel Fantasy Game to have two events but it might be because the top ranked players in the world are playing in Abu Dhabi.
Starting with the PGA tour event, the Farmers Insurance Open — My Picks are:
(1) Phil Mickelson — Yes, I know he did poorly last week but I’m hoping for a big recovery. The event is at Tory Pines and “Lefty” has won it three times, had 7 top 10’s in 22 starts, and was second last year. Not to mention the fact he lives near by so he should have home field advantage. I will admit, if he has a poor showing, I’m taking him off my roster for the rest of the spring.
(2) Brandt Snedeker — He has had 3 top 10s in 5 starts at the Farmers and did well last week at Humana finishing tied for eighth.
(3) D. A. Points — He has 2 top 10s at Tory Pines and tied for sixth at the Sony this year.
(4) Bud Cauley — He is my “what the heck” pick this week. He is a rookie but a lot of people are talking about him so that is why I picked him.
Now for the European tour — The Abu Dhabi HSBC. This is really an exciting event to watch on TV because the top three golfers in the world (Luck Donald, Lee Westwood, and Rory McIlroy, respectively) are all playing; and so is Tiger Woods. It made my pick a tough call for group one:
(1) Rory McIlroy — He is young and has an amazing swing. He also won the US Open last year after falling apart at the Masters. He is playing in the first two rounds with Tiger and Luke Donald and I don’t think he will be intimidated.
(2) Darren Clarke — An older player with a good record. I saw an interview with him and he said he has lost weight and stopped drinking so I am thinking that might help his game. Or not.
(3) Branden Grace — He won the first two events of the 2012 European Tour so that is why I picked him.
(4) Colin Montgomerie — Another older player with a good record. He is my “”what the heck pick” this week.
Well, in all truthfulness, other than McIlroy the other European players are all really “what the heck” picks since I don’t really follow that tour.