The Honda Classic did not disappoint the viewing golf public last weekend. It was an exciting Sunday! Tiger Woods played almost flawlessly (shooting a 62), Lee Westwood kept pace with a 63, but no one could catch Rory McIlroy.
I’m a bit late posting my results this week but here are how my picks finished:
(1) Rory McIlroy — Won the tournament and became the #1 Player in the world.
(2) Sang-Moon Bae — Tied for 47th. Did not play as well as I had expected
(3) Jimmy Walker — Tied for 67th. Was playing well until Sunday when he shot an 81 (ouch!)
(4) Graham Delaet — Missed the cut but I did not have any expectations for him. I still think he might do well so I will pick him next week.
This week marks the beginning of the “Florida leg” of the PGA tour which most folks get excited about for one reason — it means The Masters is only a few weeks away.
But today is all about The Honda Classic and the famous 3-hole stretch, The Bear Trap.” The plaque at the 15th hole is engraved with these words from Jack Nicklaus “It should be won or lost right here.” So let’s hope my picks can make it through the trap unscathed.
(1) Rory McIlroy — This pick is not a surprise if you have been following my blog. I think Rory will win this week which would make him #1 in the world rankings.
(2) Sang-Moon Bae — I’m very impressed with his performance this year and yes, I love his name. Bae has played in 5 events and has made every cut. Last week at the Match Play he had his best showing with a tie for fifth.
(3) Jimmy Walker — Another player that I am impressed with this year. He has 3 top ten finishes (tied for 4th at Northern Trust, tied for 8th at Farmers, and tied for 9th at the AT&T Pro-am.)
(4) Graham Delaet — My “what the heck pick this week.” Purely based on the fact he is Canadian. My favorite Canadian golfer is Mike Weir (he won The Masters in 2003) but he is not playing well. He has not made the cut in the two tournaments played in 2012. So let’s see how this new Canadian does this week.
If you plan to watch the Honda Classic this week, check out the Golf Channel’s coverage of The Bear Trap on Saturday and Sunday. The coverage starts at 3pm EST and will be on at the same time NBC is doing the full 18-hole coverage.