In my post on the results of Stage 1 of Q-School, I reported that I would be watching four players in Stage II:
- Moriya Jutanugam (Thailand) – the winner of LPGA Q-School Stage 1
- Brooke Pancake – winner of the 2012 Collegiate Women Sports Award for Golf
- Jaye Marie Green – runner-up to Lydia Ko at 2012 US Women’s Amateur
- Shannon Fish – the only one of six Golf Channel Big Break Atlantis contestants in Stage 1 of Q-School to move to Stage II of Q-school.
Note: On September 4, 2012, I wrote an overview of the LPGA Q-School.
LPGA Stage II Q-School Results
Stage II of the LPGA Q-school was held Oct. 9-12, at Plantation Golf and Country Club in Venice, Fla. The full results give the scores for all four rounds and the final positions. The top 70 plus ties move to Stage III. The winner Katie Burnett shot 273 (15 under par). Here are how the four golfers listed-above performed:
- Moriya Jutanugam – Tied 16th, Score: 288 (even par) – Moving to Stage III
- Brooke Pancake – Tied 20th, Score: 289 (one over par) – Moving to Stage III
- Jaye Marie Green – Tied 77, Score: 296 (eight over par) – Not Moving forward*
- Shannon Fish – T113th, Score: 308 (thirteen over par) – Not moving forward*
* These players do gain status on the Symetra Tour for 2013. The Symetra tour is the future’s tour for the LPGA.
Results for Big Break Atlantis Alum
As mentioned in my Stage 1 Q-School post, three players from Big Break Atlantis did not need to play Stage 1 of Q-school (they automatically qualified for Stage II). The three players were Anya Alvarez, Marcela Leon, and Gloriana Soto.
Only Anya Alvarez is moving to Stage III of Q-school. Alvarez shot seven over par and finished tied in the 63rd position. The winner of Big Break Atlantis Marcela Leon, shot 296 (eight over par) and missed the cut by one stroke. It should be noted that the Stage II preliminary field listed Gloriana Soto but it does not appear she participated in Stage II.
Stage III LPGA Q-School
The final stage of Q-School will be held November 28-December 2, 2012 at the LPGA International Golf Course in Daytona Beach Florida. This will include the golfers from Stage II as well as current LPGA players that are hoping to improve their status (which determines the tournaments they are eligible to play in 2013).
Which LPGA players will go “back to Q-School?” One LPGA player that has had a tough year and will be heading to Q-School is Christina Kim. Kim has been on tour for 10 years, is very popular, and well-known on Twitter. From a marketing perspective, the LPGA wants this “star” to have full tour status in 2013. Who else will join Kim? I think we can all guess but I’ll be good and wait until the official list of participants is released to comment.